Get To Know Me

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Thankful Thursdays

I admit that this is REALLY cheesy to list what I'm THankful for on THursdays.  But you're going to have to get over it because I am a nerd.  There, I've come out of the closet. 
 
I've had a lot of depression since finding out about the affair and I've had a hard time finding the good in my life.  There have been studies that show that gratitude can be an antidepressant.  Check out the following article for more info on that : http://www.rodale.com/happiness-gratitude-and-depression?page=0,0
 
I have heard this before.  And of course we learn in church how much our spirits can be boosted by keeping in mind the things that you are thankful for.  But I have never been good at it!!!  Yes, I know am grateful for many things, but apparently it helps to literally write them down.  So I'm going to try hard and do this at least once a week. 
 
Ok, so I'm going to try to start small and list at least 5 things that I am grateful for in this moment:
 
1.  A nice home to live in (since I spend a LOT more time here since the affair)
2.  Freedom of speech (this blog has saved me...a way to vent and get out my feelings!)
3.  Good health (I sometimes feel silly for complaining about my trials.  My family is healthy and no one has died.  I wish my gratefulness for this could overtake my grief, anger and sadness over the affair)
4.  The sunshine (good to see the sun today after a bitter winter)
5. Netflix (ok, this one is lame, but seriously I carry my kindle around with me and watch shows while I do my housework.  It helps keep my mind off of everything and lets me escape into someone else's world.  I don't care if it's not a real one)
 
This really must be something that needs to be practiced because I am exhausted.  I thought I might be able to list more, but I'm done now.  Maybe I'll have a better time with it next week. 

No comments: